Restyling an ensuite bathroom usually takes a lot of thought and planning, so when we sold one of our hand painted Edwardian vanity units and the customer asked us for styling ideas, we prepared to spend time on precision planning to get it right. The bathroom was part of their guest bedroom suite which was on the second floor in the eaves which, in itself, presented the challenge of accommodating sloping walls on both sides of the room. The existing suite was fitted, incorporating a macerator toilet, hand basin and bath into the units and the whole room was tiled to half height.
After an on-site consultation with the client, we also agreed to restyle the adjoining bedroom and so began the process of planning, styling and producing several mood boards for both rooms, incorporating the style of the house, the client’s own taste and our own ideas of colours and styles. After further consultation, the customer chose one of our schemes and so the project began.
The first stage was to completely strip the bathroom and remove all the wall tiles. This is the stage that usually reveals any unforeseen problems! The house is Edwardian and the walls had been tiled on top of the original lath and plaster which disintegrated as the tiles came off resulting in both walls requiring not just skimming but being rebuilt, plastered and skimmed. Although at the time this could have been a set back, it was actually beneficial to the new design of panelling for the walls. Due to the age of the building, there were no straight lines or equal angles in the room so the panelling and tiling were fitted to be visually aesthetic, much to the frustration of the carpenter and tiler!
Although the existing suite was removed, it was decided to reinstall the bath in its original setting but build a new removable bath panel to continue the wall panelling. The original compact macerator toilet was replaced with an updated, quieter version. We housed the macerator and cistern behind the wall which pulled the toilet back giving more space. To gain access to fit the macerator and cistern we constructed a hidden door through one of the panels on the wall which also allows servicing. The heated towel rail was replaced with a traditional style rail with integrated radiator, complementing the theme and the era of the house. We added mirrors to the panelling on the back of the door (the only available area for a full length mirror) bouncing light back into the room. The colour for the panelling was chosen from Zoffany to match the hand painted vanity unit and the ceiling colour was a complementary darker colour to give the illusion of space and open up the ceiling. Dark grey tiles with grey grouting enhanced the visual impact. A neutral carpet was fitted throughout the bedroom and ensuite.
The chosen colour theme for the bedroom was deep red with a very pale green accent. The wall paper was from Sanderson and Morris & Co, the paint was Zoffany. We sourced new furniture for the bedroom including a mahogany sleigh bed and bedside cabinets and incorporated pieces of the client’s existing furniture. A Roman blind and curtains were custom made with fabric from Mulberry Home and Romo for the dormer window. We sourced and fitted an original ebony door knob and Edwardian rim lock for the ensuite as this had been missing for as long as the client could remember!
After overcoming the challenges of the rooms’ shapes and sizes, we completed the project in time for the client’s Christmas visitors. We are very proud to have overcome the challenges that the project had thrown up and our client was so delighted with the end result that we are now embarking on the next project for the family – style advice for a brand new, three bedroom eco house which we are very excited to be involved in.